WHO WE ARE
Highland Park is ultimately owned by The Edrington Group Limited, a private limited company (registered in Scotland No. 36374), and our registered office is at The Edrington Group, 100 Queen Street, Glasgow G1 3DN.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Highland Park is committed to keeping your personal data safe and secure and to protecting and respecting the privacy of your personal information. To prevent unauthorised access, maintain data accuracy and ensure the correct usage of your personal data, we monitor and adjust our procedures to safeguard and secure the personal data we collect online.
• what type of personal data we collect
• when we collect your personal data
• how we use your personal data
• our legal reasons for holding personal data
• who we share your personal data with
• how long we keep personal data for
• what rights and choices you have with regard to your personal data
WHAT TYPES OF PERSONAL DATA DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
We collect the following types of personal data:
• your name, age/date of birth (for age verification purposes only) and location
• your contact details (postal addresses including billing and delivery addresses) and contact telephone numbers
• details of orders you place through our online shop
• your payment card details, when you make a purchase or place an order with us
• your correspondence and communications with Highland Park
• personal data which you may have shared via a public platform (such as on our Facebook pages or Instagram feeds)
• your communication and marketing preferences
• your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses
• your online browsing activities on our website
WHEN AND WHERE DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We collect your personal data when you:
• sign up to join our Inner Circle
• place an order for our products or merchandise from our online shop
• enter a ballot for the opportunity to purchase a Highland Park product
• enter a competition related to Highland Park or one of our products (including merchandise)
• attend one of our events or visit one of our sites (distillery visitor centre and shop)
• contact us with any customer service enquiries
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
Highland Park (and trusted partners acting on our behalf) use your personal data:
• to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us, or which we feel may interest you (but only when you’ve given your consent to be contacted by us)
• to allow us to send you personalised communications based on your preferences and use of our products
• to verify your identity and your age
• for crime and fraud prevention, detection and related purposes
• to enable us to manage any customer service interactions with you
• to ensure that our web content is presented in the most efficient way for you and your computer
• to allow you to participate in interactive features on our website, when you choose to do so
• where we have a legal right or duty to use or disclose your information (for example, in relation to an investigation by a public authority or in a legal dispute)
WHAT IS OUR LEGAL REASON FOR HOLDING PERSONAL DATA?
Data protection laws require us to state our legal reason for processing your personal data. We
need your consent to send you marketing communications about Highland Park and you can
withdraw your consent to receive these communications at any time by using the unsubscribe
button included in the communications we send you, or by contacting us at
We also collect and use your personal data because it is necessary for:
• the pursuit of ‘our legitimate interests’ (as set out below)
• the purposes of complying with our duties and exercising our rights under a contract for the sale of goods to a consumer
• compliance with our legal obligations
Our legitimate interests
The normal legal basis for processing consumer data, is that it is necessary for Highland Park’s
legitimate interests, including:
• selling and supplying goods to our consumers
• protecting our consumers, employees and other individuals and maintaining their safety, health and welfare
• promoting, marketing and advertising our products
• understanding our consumers’ behaviours, activities, preferences, and needs
• improving existing products and developing new products
• complying with our legal and regulatory obligations
• handling consumer contacts, queries, complaints or disputes
• preventing, investigating and detecting crime, fraud or anti-social behaviour, and prosecuting offenders
WHO DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL DATA WITH?
To effectively fulfill our obligations to you, and to provide you with certain benefits, we use a number of trusted and reliable third parties to carry out functions that involve the processing of your personal data. These include IT, delivery and marketing service providers.
• When you order products from our online shop, we will share your details with our fulfillment partner (currently Mail Marketing UK Limited), who will process your orders as set out in our Terms and Conditions.
• We use marketing service providers to administer services on our behalf, such as sending communications to you and administering any promotions or ballots that we run.
Some of the third party service providers we use may be based outside the European Economic Area, but we will only transfer personal data to these service providers where we are satisfied that adequate levels of protection and security controls are in place to protect your personal data. We impose contractual obligations on service providers relating to data protection and security, which mean that they can only use your personal data to provide services to Highland Park or to you, and for no other purpose.
We may provide information to others (such as governmental or law enforcement agencies) in the good faith that such action is necessary to:
(i) enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions
(ii) comply with any legal claims raised against Highland Park
(iii) protect the rights, property or safety of Highland Park
(iv) protect the rights, property or safety of the public
If Highland Park become involved in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction involving the sale of some or all of our assets, user information (including personal information collected from you through your use of our website) could be included in the transferred assets. Should such an event occur, we will use reasonable means to notify you, either through email and/or a prominent notice on our website.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
You have a number of rights under the Data protection laws in relation to the way we process your personal data, namely:
• to access your data
• to have your data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete
• in certain circumstances, to have your data deleted or removed
• in certain circumstances, to restrict the processing of your data
• a right of data portability, namely to obtain and reuse your data for your own purposes across different services
• to object to direct marketing
• not to be subject to automated decision making (including profiling), where it produces a legal effect or a similarly significant effect on you
• to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Data Protection Laws
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact [email protected]
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
We will not retain your personal data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this Policy. Different retention periods will apply to different types of data.
If you have any questions or concerns about the way in which your personal data is processed, please contact [email protected]
You have the right to complain about data protection matters to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. You can find out more about the ICO on its website (https://ico.org.uk/) or contact them by calling 0303 123 1113.
COOKIES AND HOW WE USE THEM
Cookies are small files that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you browse certain websites. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. If you’d like to find out more about cookies and how they work, please visit allaboutcookies.org.
By using our website, you agreed that we can place the following cookies on your device:
|TYPE OF COOKIE||CATEGORY & DESCRIPTION||PURPOSE|
|Age Gate Cookie||Strictly Necessary Cookies
This type of cookie is essential to enable you to move around our website and use its features.
|We use the Age Gate Cookie to verify both your country and age to confirm that you are old enough to view our site content.|
|Shopping Basket Cookie||We store a generated shopping basket to allow the products you select to be added to the shopping basket and then purchased.|
|Google Analytics||Performance Cookies
These cookies collect information about how our visitors use our website.
|This analytical tool allows us to track which parts of our site you visit and also tells us which websites you came from to get to our website. All information collected by this cookie is aggregated and is therefore anonymous.|
|Functionality Cookie||Functionality Cookie
This type of cookie is used to remember customer selections that change the way our site behaves or looks.
|At your request we may place a cookie to remember your preferences so that you do not need to re-enter your details (country/age and language).|
|Links to other social networking sites||Third Party Cookies
These cookies enable users to access third party sites.
|To provide you with a quick link to social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, we embed external cookies from third parties within our website. You can view the cookie usage policy of these third parties on their own websites.|
You can, of course, choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept them but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer – do bear in mind that this may prevent you from enjoying our website to the full. (And, if you’d like to opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all the websites you visit, go to tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout)
Some areas of our website use ShareThis which is a widely used social bookmarking service that makes it easy to share articles to social media sites like Twitter or Facebook. If you’d rather opt out of this, please go to sharethis.com/privacy