Nothing divides opinion quite like Brussels sprouts on Christmas Day! We think our flavourful recipe – full of nutty crunch and zesty citrus – might convert even the most die-hard dissenter.
1kg Brussels sprouts
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely sliced
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
200g walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1. Remove any tough outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts, rinse under cold running water, and score each stem end with an X
2. Bring a large pan of water to a rolling boil and insert a steamer rack above.
3. Tip the Brussels sprouts into the rack and steam for 6-7 minutes until tender but still retaining their lovely bright green colour.
4. Remove from the steamer and pop into a bowl while you make a little flavour magic!
5. Melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the garlic. Stir gently until it’s soft and releasing delicious aromas – about two minutes.
6. Add the Brussels sprouts to the pan, stir with the garlic, and then fry until golden and starting to char - around 8-10 minutes.
7. Finally, season with salt and pepper, stir in the lemon juice and walnuts, and present in your favourite festive serving dish.