Canadian Thanksgiving and American Thanksgiving are two quite separate celebrations, marked on different dates (11th October and 25th November respectively this year) and emerging from different social histories and cultural references. What both have in common, however, is the joy of sharing hospitality and time with friends and family.
The concept of sharing is close to our hearts at Highland Park and here, in the UK, the celebration of the Harvest Festival is perhaps the closest occasion we have to Thanksgiving. We therefore gave ourselves the challenge of creating a Thanksgiving dish which accommodates as many dietary preferences as possible (so it’s meat free, fish and shellfish free, dairy free and could also be gluten free if GF products are substituted) and celebrates a harvest of humble ingredients that work together naturally and deliciously.
From our small islands to the vast territories of Canada and North America, we raise a glass – and you may not be surprised to hear that 12 Year Old Viking Honour is in that glass, as the perfect accompaniment to this delicious celebratory dish. Skal!
VEGAN NUT ROAST WITH GRAVY
Nut Roast ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
1 red pepper, halved, deseeded and finely diced
1 large carrot, grated
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp smoked paprika
100g red lentils
2 tbsp tomato purée
300ml vegetable stock
100g fresh breadcrumbs
150g mixed nuts (such as walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts and Brazil nuts) roughly chopped
3 tablespoon of egg replacement
100g vegan cheddar, grated
Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/ gas 4 and line the base and sides of a 1.5 litre loaf tin with parchment paper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook 1 finely chopped large onion and 2 finely chopped celery sticks for about 5 mins until beginning to soften. Stir in 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and 200g finely chopped chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further 10 mins. Now stir in 1 finely diced red pepper and 1 grated carrot and cook for about 3 mins then add 1 tsp dried oregano and 1 tsp smoked paprika and cook for just a minute.
3. Now, add 100g red lentils and 2 tbsp tomato purée and cook for about 1 min, then add 300ml vegetable stock and simmer over a very gentle heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and the mixture is quite dry. This should take about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. Finally, stir in the fresh breadcrumbs, chopped mixed nuts, egg replacement, vegan cheddar, a handful of finely chopped flat-leaf parsley, a pinch of salt and some ground black pepper.
5. Stir to mix well then spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and press down the surface. Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins, then remove the foil and bake for a further 20 mins until firm when pressed gently.
Vegan Gravy ingredients
1 tbsp dairy free spread
1 tbsp plain flour
Splash of red wine (optional)
500ml hot vegetable stock
1 tbsp marmite
Salt and pepper
Small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Melt 1 tbsp dairy free spread in a medium saucepan over a medium heat; add 1 tbsp plain flour and cook for one minute.
2. Add a splash of red wine (if using) and cook until reduced. Add the 500ml hot vegetable stock, little by little, stirring as you go, allowing it to thicken before adding more. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. 3. Finally stir in 1 tbsp marmite and a small handful of chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper.