When our Senior Brand Ambassador, Martin Markvardsen, hosted a live tasting session on Instagram to introduce Highland Park fans to 10 Year Old Viking Scars, he was quick to point out that this whisky shouldn’t be seen as 12 Year Old Viking Honour’s ‘little brother’.
In fact, according to Martin, the key distinction between the two whiskies is less to do with maturation and everything to do with casks. The predominant use of European oak for 12 Year Old Viking Honour gives it those hallmark flavours of sherried raisins and dried fruit, while the more mellow influence of American oak for 10 Year Old Viking Scars imparts distinctive notes of vanilla and citrus fruit. Both whiskies, of course, carry that intensely balanced smoky sweetness that is the DNA of the Highland Park distillery.
Relishing the notes of heather honey smoke, vanilla, orange peel and hazelnuts during the tasting, Martin recommended a deliciously sweet pairing with chocolate coated digestive biscuits (milk chocolate though, as dark chocolate will be too bitter for this whisky), a savoury pairing with beautifully ripe Brie and, his personal favourite, an Asian-inspired Chicken Fried Rice dish accompanied by a glass of 10 Year Old.
If you fancy creating your own food pairings, Martin’s key tip is to keep the spices light. We’d love to hear your ideas, so do tag us on Instagram or Facebook, and, as promised, here’s Martin’s delicious fried chicken recipe to try out too…
MARTIN’S MIGHTY FRIED CHICKEN AND RICE
Ingredients (per serving)
75gms white rice
1 chicken breast, sliced into small strips, skin removed
A handful of sliced mushrooms, red pepper, carrots, spring onions
A handful of frozen peas
2 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
Sweet chilli sauce
Toasted sesame oil
1. Cook the rice and set it to one side (you could even do this the day before)
2. Now put half a teaspoon of sesame oil and one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok and set it over a medium-high heat
3. Season the chicken slices with salt and pepper and fry them for about 6 minutes until cooked through
4. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside while you add a further teaspoon of sesame oil and tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan, still over a medium-high heat
5. Add the garlic and vegetables and fry for a couple of minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside
6. Add the eggs to the pan and mix until scrambled, then add in the vegetables, chicken and rice and stir well to combine, seasoning with soy sauce to taste
7. Serve topped with a sweet chilli sauce and enjoy with a glass of 10 Year Old Viking Scars