Last year, our team in the Netherlands paired up with Dutch BBQ specialists, the curiously named ‘The Bastard’, to contribute Highland Park whisky pairings to some recipes in their cookbook… perfect for when the days get shorter and the night gets colder!
ST JACOB’S BACON
A famous BBQ philosopher once said: ‘Bacon makes everything better’ – we couldn’t agree more!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
16 rashers of bacon
Butter, ghee or oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
… and don’t forget the skewers! You’ll need four of them. TOP TIP – soak them in water for 20 minutes to stop them burning on the griddle.
1. Fire up the BBQ to around 200°C.
2. Rinse the scallops under cold water and gently pat dry.
3. Wrap each scallop in a rasher of bacon and skewer together (four per skewer)
4. Rub all over with the melted butter, ghee or oil and place on your BBQ griddle.
5. Grill for about two minutes on each side and serve.
The light and fresh flavour profile of 10 Year Old VIKING SCARS makes an excellent accompaniment, complementing both the delicate sweetness of the scallops and the salty crunch of the bacon – skål!