Martin Markvardsen, our Senior Brand Ambassador, travels around the world leading Highland Park tasting and training sessions. Like the rest of us, he’s now finding new ways to work from home so we took the opportunity to ask him what he likes to cook when he’s back in his own kitchen.
As any self-respecting Viking would tell you, travelling the world works up a healthy appetite and Martin’s recipe certainly delivers a mighty meaty feast! He adds the magic with a measure of 12 Year Old VIKING HONOUR, but feel free to replace this with your own favourite Highland Park.
Martin’s Mighty Viking Honour Half-pounder Beefburger
INGREDIENTS (makes one burger)
250g Minced beef (10% fat)
25ml Highland Park 12 Year Old VIKING HONOUR
½ Orange bell pepper (cut into slices)
2 Rashers of bacon (fried, grilled or microwaved until crispy)
2 Slices of cheddar cheese
1 Burger bun (brioche is ideal)
Handful of green salad leaves
Salt and pepper
- Mix the minced beef and whisky in a bowl, cover and leave to marinade in the fridge for an hour.
- Finely chop two of the slices of bell pepper and add to the meat mix.
- Form the mix into a large burger (meat pattie) and season with salt and pepper.
- Fry the meat for 4 minutes on one side, until well seared with a crust, and then flip and cook for a further 3 minutes (rare), 4 minutes (medium rare), 5 minutes (medium) or 6 minutes (well done).
- Top with the cheese and, while it melts, split the burger bun and warm in the oven for a minute or so.
- To assemble your Viking Honour Beefburger, dress the bottom of the bun with chilli mayonnaise and then add the crispy bacon followed by the burger (meat pattie), the salad leaves and the remaining slices of bell pepper.
- Finish with a generous dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of paprika and the top of the bun.
Sweet potato fries on the side make an excellent accompaniment… if there’s any room left on the plate!