We don’t tend to think of Highland Park as a cocktail ingredient as we don’t want to mask its unique flavours, but in a classic serve – where Highland Park is the hero and its flavours are amplified – it’s the perfect ingredient. Enter the classic Old Fashioned with a contemporary twist which amplifies the notes of Seville oranges, sweet heather honey and light peat smoke in our 12 Year Old Viking Honour.
Enjoy following the recipe or see it being created by an expert mixologist in our video below.
Salted Honey Old Fashioned
12 Year Old VIKING HONOUR is the heart and soul of Highland Park and this serve emphasises its salty, heather honey notes.
50ml 12 Year Old VIKING HONOUR
10ml honey syrup (mix together 1-part honey with 1-part water)
Pinch of smoked sea salt
Dash of orange bitters
Dash of Angostura bitters
Stir all the ingredients in a mixing glass and strain over fresh ice.
Garnish with an orange twist.
Some good old-fashioned facts…
- As early as 1806, the ‘cocktail’ was defined as ‘spirits of any kind, bitters, sugar and water’.
- After Prohibition, fruit and sugar were added to the ‘Whisky Cocktail’ to hide the poor quality of the spirit, and, as the years went by, this evolved into a sweet and fruity drink that relied heavily on the availability of liqueurs, exotic ingredients and a variety of bitters.
- Eventually there was a return to a Whisky Cocktail made ‘in the old fashioned way’ – no nonsense, no additional flavours, just whisky, bitters, sugar and water.
- The classic ‘Old Fashioned’ was born and it’s not only the oldest cocktail on record, it’s one of the few that stays true to its base spirit.
- Today, an Old Fashioned is the most requested serve in 30% of the top 50 bars in the world.
Don’t forget to tag us on Instagram in your creations @HighlandParkOfficial