Perfect with a dram of Highland Park 18 Year Old.
Fish Curry with Coconut Milk
2 tablespoons coconut oil
20 curry leaves
4 dried Kashmiri chilis
1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds, lightly crushed
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
4 shallots, thinly sliced
1 fresh green chili, sliced
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 can coconut milk
1 pound firm white fish, such as cod, haddock, swordfish, or halibut cut into 1” cubes
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high.
2. Add curry leaves, Kashmiri chilis, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and ginger and cook until the seeds are fragrant and begin to pot (about 3 minutes).
3. Transfer to a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, or food processor and pulse into a paste. Add shallots and fresh chili to pot, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes.
4. Add chili paste and turmeric and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and coconut milk and mix to combine.
5. Bring mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer, continue to cook, covered, until the tomatoes begin to burst, about 15 minutes.
6. Stir in fish and cook until fish is firm and just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
7. Stir in vinegar, season with salt, and serve with fresh cilantro, lime, and naan bread. Serve with a dram of Highland Park 18 Year Old.
Recipe by Jess Damuck. Credited to Eater.